Buying a home can be exciting and terrifying at the same time! Working with a good REALTOR will make the buying process as smooth as possible. There are many steps throughout the process and your agent will be happy to help answer any questions along the way. To save you time we have answered some of the top questions agents are asked by buyers.
- What’s the first step of the home buying process?
- Getting pre-approved! Unless you are paying cash for your new home, you will need to talk to a lender about getting a mortgage. Once pre-approved, you will know how much home you can afford and know the best loan type for your situation.
- How long does it take to buy a home?
- Around 30-45 days once your offer has been accepted. The timeline can vary from person to person, but is typically around 30 days. If you are paying cash, you can close sooner.
- Why do I need a REALTOR?
- Having a buyer’s agent is very valuable when buying a home. Your REALTOR will represent you throughout the entire buying process while educating and informing you of all your options.
- How much do I have to pay a REALTOR to represent me as a homebuyer?
- Nothing! In most cases, the sellers will pay their agent a fee and the buyer’s agent’s fee. So as a homebuyer, you do not have to pay your agent anything to help you purchase a home.
- How much money do I need for a downpayment?
- It depends on your loan type. Talking with your lender will give you specifics for your situation. A good rule of thumb is 3% to 5% but some local banks also offer home loans with 0% down. If you would like a list of local home buying programs, contact us and we can refer you to those.
- What are other fees I’ll need to pay besides a downpayment?
- There will be loan origination fees and closing costs. You can talk to your lender to best determine how much you can expect to pay for these.
- When can I move in?
- At closing you will receive the keys at closing and can begin moving in!
Have additional questions about the buying process? Contact us below!