You may know how to prepare yourself for winter, but have you thought about how to prepare your home?
These top 5 tips will help to get your home prepared for the colder weather.
- Clean the Gutters – Wait until all the leaves have fallen, so you only have to do this task once. If needed, call a professional for this job.
- Check the Plumbing – Drain the water from the garden hoses & any outdoor faucets to help prevent pipes from bursting. If you know of any pipes that may be prone to freezing, consider adding heat tape to help keep the pipes warm in colder weather.
- Adjust the Heat – Check filters and replace as needed, if your home has a fireplace be sure the chimney is inspected and cleaned before the first fire. Save money on your heating bill by installing a programmable thermostat to keep the temperature cooler when you’re away or asleep. Also, remember to reverse your ceiling fans to push down heated air.
- Seal the Leaks – Check the weather stripping and/or caulk around doors, windows, etc. and replace or add where needed to prevent cool drafts out of the house.
- Prepare an Emergency Kit – Plan ahead and be prepared if a winter storm hits….gather essentials and put in an easy accessible area. Now is also the time to consider a generator for a back-up during a power outage. If you already have a generator, inspect it to ensure it is ready back you up if needed.
These tips make your Home Winter-Ready in no time!
Click for more tips & to see featured homes on blog.
Ready to sell your home? Click here to get your Seller To-Do List.
Ready to buy a home? Click here to contact us.