Are you ready to become a first time homeowner or ready to buy a new home (maybe you need something larger or are downsizing)? The following steps will give you a quick overview of what to expect throughout the home buying process.
- Choose a Lender. Talking with a lender will help you figure out how much home you can afford and you can move forward with getting pre-approved.
- Choose a Real Estate Agent. Working with a buyer’s agent will ensure an expert on your side…working for you to find the home to fit your needs, handling the necessary forms, inspections & negotiations. Your agent will be able to answer your questions throughout the process and have the best knowledge of the local real estate market.
- Find the Right Home. Make a list of your needs (bedrooms/baths, lot size, square footage, neighborhood amenities, etc.) and wants for your new home. Sharing this list with your REALTOR will help them find homes to share with you that you will want to see. Your agent will schedule times to see a list of homes, so you can tour each one and figure out which one best suits your needs.
- Make an Offer. Once you find “the one”, you will put an offer in on the home. Your initial offer could be accepted or you may receive a counter-offer from the seller, in which you will have the chance to accept, decline or counter back. Once the price is agreed upon by both parties, you will need to provide an earnest money deposit (or good faith deposit), which will be held in an escrow account.
- Head to the Closing Table. After the home inspection, appraisal and choosing home insurance you will be set to close. Be sure to check with your lender to determine how much money you will be responsible for providing at time of closing.
- Move-In. You did it! It is time to move your stuff into your New Home. Unpacking the mountains of boxes can be a daunting task, but doing a little at a time will make the task less overwhelming and give you chances to sit back and enjoy your new place.